The Zobo Drink.
The Nigerian Zobo (Roselle) drink is prepared from dried Roselle flowers.
The Nigerian Zobo drink has a unique sour taste and can be prepared using sugar and/or other sweetners such as Nutri-C. Artificial flavours can also be added.
Although most Nigerians who enjoy this drink preffer it as natural as it can be, therefore use only natural ingredients during preparation.
Required Ingredients for making Zobo (Roselle) drink.
The ingredients below will only make about 5 litres of Zobo drink.
You can decide to either increase or decrease the quantity as more quantity can be gotten from the same ingredients below.
It is based on your desired concentration (adding or reducing the amount of water added).
- Zobo leaves (10 milk cups)
- a clove of garlic
- a piece of ginger
- Ripped pineapple.
- Orange fruit or any citrus of choice.
Preparing the Zobo drink
1. Wash Zobo flowers thoroughly with cold water.
The flowers are usually dusty. Wash them well even if you noticed the colours washing off. The flowers still posses much more colours and will be reveled after the boiling is complete.
2. Peel your pineapple and orange, slice into tinier pieces. Peel the orange using your hands.
3. Peel and cut your ginger into smaller pieces. Do the same for the garlic.
Guidelines for making the Zobo drink.
- Get a clean pot and put the washed zobo leaves in it. Make sure the pot is deep.
- Pour enough water and cover the pot.
- Add your pineapples and oranges to the boiling zobo flowers.
- Allow to cook for about 5minutes under medimum heat.
- Add ginger and garlic, also add some more water and allow to boil for about 30 minutes.
- The zobo flowers and pineapples are expected to be extremely soft.
- Turn off the cooking material and allow the Pot of Zobo to cool down completely.
- After about 30-35 minutes, check if the pot is cool. If yes, wringe out the juice from the pineapple, orange and zobo flowers. This should leave the zobo juice alone in the pot.
- Sieve the remaining zobo juice, this will help take out smaller particles of the flowers that remained.
- Add any artificial flavour of choice and stir.
- Pour your zobo juice into clean bottles, cans or gallons
- Serve with any Nigerian snack.
Health Benefits for taking Zobo drink.
There are lots of benefits one can gain from consuming the zobo drink aside refresmant, the benefits for consuming zobo includes;
- It regulates blood pressure.
- It reduce cholesterol.
- It strengthens blood vessels.
- It improves sex drive.
* Pregnant women should avoid zobo drink as it induces mensuration (could lead to miscarriage).
Others are reading:
- How to Prepare the Nigerian Buns
- How to Make Homemade Salad in Nigeria
- How to prepare ewedu soup
- How to Prepare Delicious Okra Soup
- How to SEASON AND GRILL (BROIL) CHICKEN
- How to Fry Eggs with Tomatoes – Easy Steps